Veneers Post-Operative Instructions
- Plastic temporary restorations will serve you for a short period of time while your permanent veneer is being made. They are attached only slightly to the underlying tooth so they can be removed easily.
- If a veneer comes off, call us and we will replace it immediately. If you are in a situation that will not allow you to come in, place the temporary back in place with some Fixodent™ (denture adhesive). You must still see us as soon as possible.
- The size, shape, and color of the temporary does not resemble the final veneer.
- Temporary veneers may leak saliva or food onto the tooth. Sensitivity to hot, cold, pressure or sweets is not uncommon. You may also see stains under the temporaries. These will be removed prior to final cementation.
- Avoid heavy brushing of the temporaries and do not floss between them because you may pull them off.
- Your final porcelain veneers will be as close to the natural beauty and function of teeth as possible. They look and feel normal in every way. We place our veneers with the finest materials and techniques available today. However, you should be aware of the following information about your restorations:
- As with natural teeth, avoid chewing excessively hard foods on the veneered teeth (hard candy, ice, raw carrots, etc.) because the porcelain material can break under extreme forces.
- Proper brushing, flossing, and regular 6-month (minimal) cleanings are essential to the long-term stability and appearance of your veneers. Often, problems that may develop with the veneers can be found at an early stage and repaired easily, while waiting for a longer time may require redoing entire restorations.
- The gums may recede from the veneers, displaying discolored tooth structure underneath. This situation usually takes place after many years and requires veneer replacement.
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care Practice. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Antonious at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!