ZOOM! Post Whitening Care Instructions
Congratulations! You have just experienced a revolutionary tooth whitening procedure. The next 48 hours are vital in maximizing your whitening results for a long lasting, bright and healthy smile.
Everyone has a protective layer on their teeth called the acquired pellicle. This layer has a surface that stains can be removed by regular dental cleanings or a whitening process. It takes 12 – 24 hours for the barrier to fully develop again. For maximizing the whitening we advice our patients that for the next 48 hours, you DO NOT consume dark or yellow staining substances such as:
- Tobacco (tobacco products)
- Red/White Wines
- Color Lipsticks
- Soft Drinks
- Potato Chips
- Red sauces
- Soy Sauce
- Colored toothpastes/gels
- Colored mouthwashes or Flouride treatments
If your daily homecare involves the use of Perio Prescription or any Chlorahexidine, please wait 48 hours before continuing the usage of these products.
Additional ways to maintain your bright healthy smile longer is to avoid staining related habits, use an electric toothbrush, floss, and have regular professional dental cleanings (at least twice a year) as recommended by your hygienist and dentist.
Food and Drink Recommendations during the 48 Hours Post Procedure Period
Main Entrée Suggestions: Turkey, white tuna (no vinegar), white fish, canned chicken breast, chicken breast without the skin, grilled cheese with white cheddar or mozzarella cheese, pasta with white sauce such as alfredo.
Beverage Suggestions: Milk, water, clear soda, tonic water.
Alcohol Suggestions: Gin, Vodkas, no mixed drinks with orange juice, cranberry juice.
Fruits & Vegetable Suggestions: Apples, bananas, pears (no peels) and cauliflower.
Snack Suggestions: Cottage cheese, plain or vanilla yogurt, snack wells vanilla cookies, vanilla pudding, white cheese, white cheddar or mozzarella cheese
Condiment Suggestions: Mayonnaise, sour cream and white gravy, alfredo sauce.
Carbohydrate Suggestions: White bread (no crust), flour tortillas (white), crackers.
Breakfast Suggestions: Pancakes with white syrup, egg whites, oatmeal, cream of wheat.
Patient Instructions for home whitening following the ZOOM Procedure
- You will be given a take home tray and bleach solution to use after the in-office Zoom treatment. This treatment is a home bleaching system which you administer on your own. The effectiveness and safety of this treatment is dependent upon you following our directions closely.
- Begin bleaching 24 hours after Zoom procedure. Be sure to brush and floss before putting the bleaching trays on. You can wear the bleach trays for 30-45 minutes depending on your sensitivity.
- Rinse the trays out and let dry over night, brush your teeth.
- Keep trays away from heat or animals.
- Repeat for 3 consecutive days. If sensitivity occurs use the bleach trays following above directions for 3 nights but use it every other night instead.
- If you experience post procedural sensitivity occurs you may chew sugarless gum to reduce the peroxide levels, take an Advil or Tylenol, or what you would normally take for headaches, and brush with Sensodyne toothpaste.
For more information about take home teeth whitening and in office teeth whitening procedures click here.
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care Practice. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Gupta at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!