Prophylaxis/teeth cleaning is an excellent procedure to help keep the oral cavity in good health and also to halt the progression of gum disease. At Sunnyvale Dental Care office we strongly believe that at home care combined with regular professional dental cleanings is a must for healthy teeth and gums.
Here are some of the benefits of prophylaxis/dental cleaning:
- Preventing and stopping the progress of gum disease– A dental prophylaxis is a cleaning procedure performed to thoroughly clean the teeth. Dental cleaning is an important dental treatment for halting the progression of periodontal disease and gingivitis.
Periodontal disease and gingivitis occur when bacteria from plaque colonize on the gingival (gum) tissue, either above or below the gum line. These bacteria colonies cause serious inflammation and irritation which in turn produce a chronic inflammatory response in the body. As a result, the body begins to systematically destroy gum and bone tissue, making the teeth shift, become unstable, or completely fall out. The pockets between the gums and teeth become deeper and house more bacteria which may travel via the bloodstream and infect other parts of the body.
- Tartar removal– Tartar (calculus) and plaque buildup, both above and below the gum line, can cause serious periodontal problems if left untreated. Even using the best brushing and flossing homecare techniques, it can be impossible to remove debris, bacteria and deposits from gum pockets. The experienced eye of Sunnyvale dentist Dr. Antonious using specialized dental equipment is needed in order to spot and treat problems such as tartar and plaque buildup.
- Aesthetics– It’s hard to feel confident about a smile marred by yellowing, stained teeth. Dental cleaning can rid the teeth of unsightly stains and return the smile to its former glory.
- Fresher breath– Periodontal disease is often signified by persistent bad breath (halitosis). Bad breath is generally caused by a combination of rotting food particles below the gum line, possible gangrene stemming from gum infection, and periodontal problems. At Sunnyvale Dental Care practice, Sunnyvale, CA 94087, it has been our experience that the removal of plaque, calculus and bacteria noticeably improves breath and alleviates irritation.
- Identification of health issues– Many health problems first present themselves to the dentist. Since prophylaxis/teeth cleaning involves a thorough examination of the entire oral cavity, Dr. Antonious is able to screen for oral cancer, evaluate the risk of periodontitis and often spot signs of medical problems like diabetes and kidney problems. Recommendations can also be provided for altering the home care regimen.
Recommended Frequency of Dental Cleaning
At Sunnyvale Dental Clinic, we recommend dental cleaning prophylaxis twice annually as a preventative measure, but should be performed every 3-4 months on periodontitis sufferers. Though gum disease cannot be completely reversed, dental cleaning is one of the tools that Sunnyvale dentist Dr. Antonious can use to effectively halt its destructive progress.
Our office philosophy is to thrive and to be among the best Sunnyvale dental practices serving Sunnyvale and surrounding cities. Dr. Antonious believes that convenience goes beyond just location. Dentist near me should never be the only determining factor in choosing a dentist. Best quality of dental work and service are and always will be second to none.
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Antonious at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!