Minor tooth movement usually refers to relatively simple movements of single or a few teeth by orthodontics or tooth straightening (ortho-straight, odont-tooth).
Minor or simple movements also mean the teeth don’t have to be moved very far, maybe a millimeter or two, just like in your case of closing a small gap between two front teeth. It also means that the appliances used are relatively simple in design and because the movements are minor the procedure generally takes months, not years.
Figure 1: An example of a large space (diastema) between a patients front teeth that she wanted to close.
Figure 2: A removable orthodontic appliance was used to close the space.
Figure 3: The final orthodontic result with the space closed.There are a few caveats, important things that need to be observed and assessed by Sunnyvale dentist Dr. Gupta to make sure that these minor movements can be carried out simply. As with everything in medicine and dentistry, correct assessment or diagnosis of the problem is essential to correct treatment. For example, to close a small gap between upper front teeth the following should be considered:
- Is there enough room to close the space without creating a bite problem with the lower teeth?
- Are the roots of the teeth in reasonably good position to allow for minor tooth movement to close the space? Radiographs (x-rays) will be essential to assess this and models may also be necessary for study purposes.
- Is there an involuntary tongue habit that has pushed the teeth forward and created the gap? - This could be difficult or impossible to fix.
- Is there a large "frenum" the little frond of tissue that runs between the teeth and up into the lip causing the teeth to separate? This may require a very minor and routine surgery to remove it and allow the teeth to stay together after space closure.
- Are the surrounding periodontal (peri-around, dont-tooth) tissues, the gum tissues and the bone healthy?
- Clear retainers – these are a computer generated series of clear retainers customized for your bite to move the teeth.
- Removable orthodontic retainers to which small springs or elastics are attached to facilitate the minor tooth movement.
- Traditional fixed orthodontic appliances, that are most commonly known as “braces” – small metal or clear brackets bonded to the teeth and through which tiny wires fit to move the teeth.
Minor Tooth Movement Appliance (MTM)MTM is a revolutionary new philosophy of cosmetic correction. By simply addressing a patient’s six upper and six lower anterior teeth, referred as the “dazzling dozen,” minor anterior misalignments of 6mm or less can be addressed. In some cases, a cosmetically pleasing smile can be achieved in just 12-24 weeks… instead of 12-24 months as with many traditional corrective approaches. Although not for every patient, MTM is a sound approach for patients wanting to perfect their smile without a lengthy treatment process or their having to wear a full set of braces.
- Fast correction for minor anterior misalignments
- Absolutely undetectable appliances
- Extremely small and comfortable
- Fast, easy direct or indirect bonding
- No wire changes
- Attract patients seeking cosmetic correction of minor misalignments
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Gupta at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!