Minor tooth movement usually refers to relatively simple movements of single or a few teeth by orthodontics or tooth straightening (ortho-straight, odont-tooth).
Minor or simple movements also mean the teeth don’t have to be moved very far, maybe a millimeter or two, just like in your case of closing a small gap between two front teeth. It also means that the appliances used are relatively simple in design and because the movements are minor the procedure generally takes months, not years.
Figure 1: An example of a large space (diastema) between a patients front teeth that she wanted to close.
Figure 2: A removable orthodontic appliance was used to close the space.
Figure 3: The final orthodontic result with the space closed.
There are a few caveats, important things that need to be observed and assessed by Sunnyvale dentist Dr. Antonious to make sure that these minor movements can be carried out simply. As with everything in medicine and dentistry, correct assessment or diagnosis of the problem is essential to correct treatment.
For example, to close a small gap between upper front teeth the following should be considered:
- Is there enough room to close the space without creating a bite problem with the lower teeth?
- Are the roots of the teeth in reasonably good position to allow for minor tooth movement to close the space? Radiographs (x-rays) will be essential to assess this and models may also be necessary for study purposes.
- Is there an involuntary tongue habit that has pushed the teeth forward and created the gap? – This could be difficult or impossible to fix.
- Is there a large “frenum” the little frond of tissue that runs between the teeth and up into the lip causing the teeth to separate? This may require a very minor and routine surgery to remove it and allow the teeth to stay together after space closure.
- Are the surrounding periodontal (peri-around, dont-tooth) tissues, the gum tissues and the bone healthy?
An orthodontist or an experienced general dentist who has taken advanced orthodontic training can answer these and other questions and carry out the minor tooth movement safely and uneventfully. Depending upon the assessment, and bearing in mind that each diagnosis is individual, there are generally a few options for minor tooth movement treatment:
- Clear retainers – these are a computer generated series of clear retainers customized for your bite to move the teeth.
- Removable orthodontic retainers to which small springs or elastics are attached to facilitate the minor tooth movement.
- Traditional fixed orthodontic appliances, that are most commonly known as “braces” – small metal or clear brackets bonded to the teeth and through which tiny wires fit to move the teeth.
At Sunnyvale Dental Care practice, we will discuss with you your treatment options.
Whatever method is used for the tooth movement, it is important to understand that even when the teeth have moved into the new position and the space is closed, they must be retained or kept in the new position until the bone stabilizes around the teeth so that they will remain in the new position by themselves. This will mean wearing retainers for a few months. MTM (Minor Tooth Movement) can be used to treat patients of all ages.
Contact Sunnyvale Dental Practice today to review your treatment options.
Minor Tooth Movement Appliance (MTM)
MTM is a revolutionary new philosophy of cosmetic correction. By simply addressing a patient’s six upper and six lower anterior teeth, referred as the “dazzling dozen,” minor anterior misalignments of 6mm or less can be addressed. In some cases, a cosmetically pleasing smile can be achieved in just 12-24 weeks… instead of 12-24 months as with many traditional corrective approaches.
Although not for every patient, MTM is a sound approach for patients wanting to perfect their smile without a lengthy treatment process or their having to wear a full set of braces.
- Fast correction for minor anterior misalignments
- Absolutely undetectable appliances
- Extremely small and comfortable
- Fast, easy direct or indirect bonding
- No wire changes
- Attract patients seeking cosmetic correction of minor misalignments
Our office philosophy is to thrive and to be among the best Sunnyvale dental practices serving Sunnyvale and surrounding cities.Sunnyvale Dental Care is considered by many Silicon Valley residents as the go to dentist near me.
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Antonious at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!