Post-Op Instructions for Oral Sedation Procedures
Please Review Instructions below before Your Sedation Appointment
- Contact us prior to your appointment if there has been a change in your heath.
- You MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult who must remain in the practice throughout your appointment, escort you home afterwards and arrange for you to be looked after for the following 24 hours.
- Nothing to eat for (6) six hours before appointment.
- Clear liquids are permitted up to (2) two hours prior to appt examples below:
- Clear fruit juice (no pulp)
- Black coffee or tea (sugar allowed but no milk, cream or whitener)
- Pop (regular or diet)
- Gelatin desserts (Jell-O)
- Please do not wear make-up, nail polish or perfume.
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothing. A short sleeved shirt is best. Bring a sweater as well.
- If you are taking medications or are a diabetic, please ask for any special instructions.
- Visit the bathroom prior to being seated.
- Coughs and cold can interfere with your appointment. If you are feeling ill in the days preceding you appointment, please advise our office.
Post Operative Instruction for Sedation Appointments
- You MUST NOT drive any vehicle , operate any machinery or use any domestic appliances for 24 hours following sedation, as dizziness/drowsiness may persist.
- Do not go up or downstairs unattended. Patients will need assistance by a responsible adult with walking and using the restroom
- Do not perform any strenuous activities.
- Do not travel by public transportation.
- You MUST NOT drink any alcohol, return to work, make any appointments, sign any legal documents or make any important decisions for 48 hours after sedation.
- Do not attempt to eat a heavy meal immediately. If you are hungry, a light diet (liquids and toast) should be adequate. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated.
- A feeling of nausea may occasionally develop after sedation. Lay down until you feel better.
- Avoid extremely hot/cold beverages as the freezing may last for 2-4 hours, be careful not to bite your lip or tongue.
- You SHOULD NOT smoke as the sedation may make you fall asleep while smoking
- Pain medication may be taken as directed, but do not exceed the instructed dose.
- Please have someone home with you the first 12 hours after your appointment.
- Any illness occurring after the appointment should be reported immediately to the practice.
For more information about different types of sedations used in dentistry click here.
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care Practice. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Antonious at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!