Post-Op Instructions for Oral Sedation Procedures
Please Review Instructions below before Your Sedation Appointment
- Contact us prior to your appointment if there has been a change in your heath.
- You MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult who must remain in the practice throughout your appointment, escort you home afterwards and arrange for you to be looked after for the following 24 hours.
- Nothing to eat for (6) six hours before appointment.
- Clear liquids are permitted up to (2) two hours prior to appt examples below:
- Clear fruit juice (no pulp)
- Black coffee or tea (sugar allowed but no milk, cream or whitener)
- Pop (regular or diet)
- Gelatin desserts (Jell-O)
- Please do not wear make-up, nail polish or perfume.
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothing. A short sleeved shirt is best. Bring a sweater as well.
- If you are taking medications or are a diabetic, please ask for any special instructions.
- Visit the bathroom prior to being seated.
- Coughs and cold can interfere with your appointment. If you are feeling ill in the days preceding you appointment, please advise our office.
Post Operative Instruction for Sedation Appointments
- You MUST NOT drive any vehicle , operate any machinery or use any domestic appliances for 24 hours following sedation, as dizziness/drowsiness may persist.
- Do not go up or downstairs unattended. Patients will need assistance by a responsible adult with walking and using the restroom
- Do not perform any strenuous activities.
- Do not travel by public transportation.
- You MUST NOT drink any alcohol, return to work, make any appointments, sign any legal documents or make any important decisions for 48 hours after sedation.
- Do not attempt to eat a heavy meal immediately. If you are hungry, a light diet (liquids and toast) should be adequate. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated.
- A feeling of nausea may occasionally develop after sedation. Lay down until you feel better.
- Avoid extremely hot/cold beverages as the freezing may last for 2-4 hours, be careful not to bite your lip or tongue.
- You SHOULD NOT smoke as the sedation may make you fall asleep while smoking
- Pain medication may be taken as directed, but do not exceed the instructed dose.
- Please have someone home with you the first 12 hours after your appointment.
- Any illness occurring after the appointment should be reported immediately to the practice.
Learn more when you visit Sunnyvale Dental Care Practice. Call Sunnyvale Dentist Dr. Antonious at 408-720-0900 to schedule a consultation today!